We see a lot of Original Grain watches and talk to a lot of people who wear and collect them. Along the way, we’ve picked up a long list of useful tips and tricks for buying and wearing them. Here are some of our favorite tips we’ve received over the years:
- Get a cheaper watch you won’t care about as much. This type of watch is great because you can purposely wear it during any activities where there’s a chance of scratching or otherwise damaging it. Its purpose is strictly functional. Most of these kinds of activities will be times when you don’t care as much about your appearance anyway, so it will allow you to wear your Original Grain watches at times when your appearance is most important.
- You would be surprised how different your watch can look when you use different straps. Different colors and materials can create a whole new look for your watch. All you need to do is measure the width of the strap so you know the right size, and you’re all set to buy any combination of straps to breathe new life into your watches. Pay close attention to how the different shades and types of brown straps compliment the wood grain in Original Grain watches.
- If you’re a collector, you should be using watch winders for your automatic watches. Instead of constantly adjusting each watch to ensure the correct time, your watches can remain on watch winders. This way your watches are waiting for you anytime you decide to wear one.
- One of the best and simplest ways to clean most men’s watches is a mild soap and water solution. Use gentle soap and only use a little bit, then mix it with warm (not hot, just warm) water. Wring out the cloth well and wipe gently. Very hot water and sonic jewelry cleaners can damage your Original Grain watches and should be avoided at all costs. Some of the chemicals in certain cleaners can also cause damage, so soap and water is the way to go.
- If you’re tired of wearing out watch straps and keep replacing them, try to choose straps that come with a deployant clasp. You can also put a deployant clasp on a strap you already have, but sometimes this can be a lot trickier than it’s worth. The deployant clasp will help prevent the ends of the watch strap from bending and being damaged while putting your watch on or taking it off. While this seems like a minor difference, it can extend the life of your strap significantly, especially if you’re somebody who tends to go through watch straps like socks.
- While the look of a watch is usually one of the main factors in choosing one, it’s important to remember that legibility and overall functionality are the things that will make you want to keep wearing it. We’re talking about a timepiece here, so if you find it hard to tell the time quickly or when there isn’t much light, you’ll stop wearing it. Choose an Original Grain watch with hands that are long enough to clearly point to individual numbers or increments on the watch face, otherwise you’ll struggle to quickly see where the hands are pointing when you’re in a hurry. Also, you should choose a watch that has at least slightly contrasting colors on the hands and face. If the colors are too similar you’ll get a camouflage effect and telling the time in darker areas, or at night, might become frustrating.
- Have different watches for different occasions. While most men think of a watch as “their watch”, a single piece doesn’t always suit every occasion and it’s easy to start looking odd when you end up wearing an expensive suit with a cheap athletic watch. While it does cost more to buy several watches, you’re likely to save money in the end because you won’t wear out your Original Grain watches as quickly and they are less likely to be damaged because you were wearing a nice watch at the wrong time.
For more information, have a look through our extensive Original Grain watch review for 2017. We’ve performed an in-depth analysis of many popular models to help you make an informed decision.